Want to green up your wedding with earthy cakes? Check out this idea I found on Martha Stewart's site today! Once you've eaten your treat, wash 'em out and get out those herbs or seeds and do some planting!
Each cake is topped with a creamy layer of chocolate
frosting, a smattering of crushed cookies and candy "rocks," and a fresh sprig of mint.
I loved this idea for a wedding reception or even an Earthy Bridal Shower!
You could include a little burlap sack filled with some sort of seeds or a tree sapling as your wedding favor with instructions to plant it in your little pot to get it started! :)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, plus more for pots
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the inside of each flowerpot with oil, and line with parchment paper or foil. Brush lining with oil, and lightly dust with cocoa.
- Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add egg and yolk, 3/4 cup warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla; mix on low speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter among prepared pots, filling each about two-thirds full. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, rotating sheet about halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cakes cool completely on sheet on a wire rack.
- Frost cakes with an offset spatula; sprinkle with crushed cookies. Top with candies; "plant" 1 mint sprig in each cake.
Makes about 3 cups
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift sugar and cocoa together in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Use immediately.